Language Communication Facts
- Spanish is the most widely spoken of the Romance languages with 400 million speakers; it is also the most used language after English. The alternate names for Spanish are: Español, Castellano, and Castilian.
- Only a native speaker can pick up on all the nuances of the language, thus, avoiding problems with colloquialisms.
- Cultural sensitivity is just as important as language in establishing a positive relationship.
- English is spoken in 104 countries and is the most widely used language. It is classified as Indo-European, Germanic, West, and English.
- Dialect is a variety of a language distinguished from other varieties of the same language by phonology, grammar, and vocabulary and by its use by a group of speakers set off by others geographically or socially.
- The total of living languages is 6809. There are 3000 endangered languages.
- Asia is the continent with the biggest linguistic diversity.